Drones are currently amongst the top-selling electronic gadgets worldwide. Although drones, technically known as UAVs (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles), have been around for almost a century now, they were largely relegated to the military industry till around a few years ago. With immense popularity of the initial commercial drones that were launched, it has turned into a huge industry today.
Currently, in mid 2018, we have a plethora of small and large commercial/personal drones to choose from. Increasing numbers of drones are also being launched at a surprising rate around the world by drone manufacturers.
Here is a list of the top drones that were launched recently:
Parrot, the leading European drone-makers announced the launch of their latest drone, the Parrot ANAFI. This model is thought to be one of the biggest competitions for DJI, the global leader in commercial drones from China. It is set to revolutionize commercial drones and take it to the next level with impressive features, such as 4K HDR camera, which is easier and more efficient.
To make the ANAFI truly advanced Parrot considered numerous suggestions and feedback input from their users. Thus, the ANAFI was able to up the standard for drones when it comes to the four main parameters – quality of images, performance of flight, ease of use and piloting.
Technical specifications of Parrot ANAFI
The latest drone from the European drone-makers, the Parrot ANAFI is equipped with truly impressive features, mainly:
- Ultra-advanced camera – ANAFI has a 4K HDR camera with zoom and its 21 MP sensor is integrated with a 3-axis stabilizer system. It is the first ever drone camera which provides 180˚ vertical rotation and a 2.8x zoom without losing focus.
- Compact and Portable design – The ANAFI is ultra-portable, thanks to its compact and sleek design. It easily folds down, is lightweight, and also has a built-in USB-C charging system for higher efficiency.
- Impressive flight power – The ANAFI gives an excellent flight time of 25 minutes, in its category. The unique combination of a smart battery and the innovative ‘bio-inspired’ design allows it longer flight time than most competitors.
- Excellent flying – The ANAFI is equipped with an innovative new app which allows for automated movements of the drone and the camera too.
Why choose Parrot ANAFI for your next drone?
These are the 4 top reasons that make the Parrot ANAFI an excellent choice as your new or alternate drone:
1. Convenient Camera
The 21 MP 4K HDR camera in the Parrot ANAFI is equipped with a perfect combination of hardware and software solutions. The advanced optics system is able to operate perfectly in extreme weather conditions, with operating temperature ranging between 14˚ C to 104˚ C.
The camera is the latest Sony IMX230 integrated with an Ambarella video processor that provides cinematic 4K HDR videos at 30 fps, and 21 MP images.
The image quality is further improved with the use of a 3-axis gimbal, equipped with digital and mechanical stabilizers. The lightweight and advanced 2-axis gimbal also allows vertical tilt angles of -90˚ to +90˚, which was not possible with any other drone in this category till date.
The advanced camera also provides lossless zoom of 1.4x in 4K and 2.8x in full HD, i.e. 1080p. It also allows 3x zoom in digital zooming mode.
2. Powerful flight performance
The Parrot ANAFI revolutionizes drone flying with its innovative dual-flight modes. The FreeFlight 6 app allows users to choose between 2 different manual control modes – Sport and Film. In the Film Mode, the drone is excellent for capturing stunning cinematic aerial shots, while the Sport Mode allows you excellent flight controls, with top speed of 33 m/h in 31 m/h wind conditions. Users can easily customize flight settings to change the incline of the drone, the rotation speed and the tilt of the camera, among other flight aspects.
The ANAFI has an advanced smart Lithium Polymer battery, which gives a flight of 25 minutes straight, truly revolutionary for a drone of this size. When low on battery power, the power monitoring system automatically guides the ANAFI to its launch/landing spot.
3. Perfectly Portable
The Parrot ANAFI weighs a mere 11.2 ounce, is designed to be extremely compact, easily foldable and stronger for added durability at the same time. Not only the drone, the Parrot Skycontroller 3 unfolds within a second and automatically detects and connects with the ANAFI.
The extremely lightweight is made possible through combining carbon fiber structure and filling it with hollowed-out micro beads of glass.
4. Easier to Use
The Parrot ANAFI has the FreeFlight 6 app, developed solely for this drone. It has an ultramodern and highly responsive user interface. Beginners can use the SmartDronies automatic control mode or the CineShots, which is perfect for expert drone cinematographers.
Numerous other flight features include Cameraman Mode and Follow Me, using advanced shape recognition technology to track the target perfectly at all times.
Autel Robotics USA announced the launch of its new chief drone model, the EVO. It is an excellent drone from beginners, especially, thanks to its lightweight, compact design and easy-to-use features.
The drone comes equipped with an excellent 4K UHD camera set on a 3-axis gimbal. It has advanced obstacle detection and avoidance capabilities, for safer flights. Not only this, the EVO also gives a longer flight time than others, with faster flying speeds and longer range, all controlled easily through the Autel Explorer app.
Technical Specifications of Autel Evo
The Autel Evo is equipped with some of the most advanced and efficiency-enhancing features, including:
- Compiled cameras – The Autel Evo is set to have a unique combination of three different camera options – 1/2.3” sensor camera, 1” sensor camera and a 360˚ camera. Overall, the camera provides 4K UHD quality footage at 60 fps, integrated with a 3-axis gimbal.
- Improved flying performance – The Evo is fitted with a 4300 mAh Li-Polymer battery, allowing a total flight time of an impressive 30 minutes in ideal conditions. It is able to reach a top speed of 20 meters/second, and is easily operated at a range of maximum 7 km.
- Efficient flight controls – The Autel Explorer app is an excellent way to choose from a variety of smart flight features. Combined with the 3.3” integrated OLED screen on the remote controller, users can view live video feed from Evo at 720p HD quality.
- Smart and safe flying – The Evo has advanced IR Sensor in the rear and innovative Computer Vision obstacle avoidance software in the front and below for safest flying.
Why choose Autel Evo for your next drone?
The Autel EVO drone packs some of the most advanced and interesting features. These are the top highlighting aspects of the Autel Evo which makes it an excellent solution for beginners and expert aerial photographers alike.
1. Fastest foldable drone
The Autel Evo is touted as the fastest foldable drone model available today. It is able to achieve a top speed of over 44.5 miles/hour, which is significant for a drone its size. It’s enhanced operating frequency makes its range longer than others, at around 4.3 miles with minimal interference.
2. Safe and Secure flying
Autel Evo is packed with advanced safety features, which include the innovative Computer Vision obstacle detection system in the front and lower parts, while a unique IR sensor is fitted in the rear, providing excellent obstacle avoidance capabilities.
3. Excellent flight controls
The Evo is controlled using a remote controller which features a 3.3” OLED screen, allowing excellent 720p HD quality live video feed from your drone camera right to your controller. Not only this, the Autel Evo can efficiently work constantly for up to 3 hours, thanks to its innovative Li-Polymer 4300 mAh battery. The innovative battery gets completely powered up within 1.3 hours only.
4. Lightweight and compact
The Evo is extremely convenient and portable. Weighing only around 863 grams, it’s foldable design makes it even more compact than its peers. All in all, the compact design, combined with a robust body structure makes it a perfect choice for all drone lovers.
Freewell Gear Accessories for Autel Evo
Freewell Gear, the leading drone filters and accessories provider also designs and sells accessories for the Autel Evo model. Using high-quality materials and innovative design technology, Freewell Gear provides Autel Evo users with camera lens filters, including:
- Freewell Autel Evo Filters Standard Day 4 Pack – Made from premium-quality, double-sided multicoated optical glass, the 4 filters (ND4, ND8, ND16 and CPL filters) in this pack are perfect to capture excellent quality footage in normal daylight conditions.
- Freewell Autel Evo Filters Bright Day 4 Pack – This pack of 4 filters from Freewell Gear designed for Autel Evo. It is ideal for capturing cinematic footage in bright daytime conditions, using the 4 hybrid filters – ND8/PL, ND16/PL, ND32/PL and ND64/PL.
- Autel Evo Filters All Day 8 Pack – The Freewell Gear Autel Evo All Day 8 Pack is designed to help users capture excellent quality images and footage in all types of daytime lighting conditions. The 8 filters (ND4, ND8, ND16, CPL, ND8/PL, ND16/PL, ND32/PL and ND64/PL) are designed to help ensure top quality footage in all types of daylight conditions, from darkened overcast skies to bright afternoon and evening sunlit conditions.
- Autel Evo Filters ND1000 Long Exposure – The Autel Evo ND1000 filter from Freewell is designed to help Evo users capture stunning cinema-quality long exposure photographs. This makes it an essential tool for professional and budding aerial cinematographers.
YUNEEC TYPHOON H PLUS
The Yuneec Typhoon H + PLUS drone has been designed specifically for professional cinematographers and aerial photographers. The drone provides excellent image quality, is extremely reliable and has numerous efficient automatic flying modes in it.
Although it has a 1” sensor camera, it captures cinematic 4K videos. Not only this, the Typhoon H Plus is controlled with the advanced PX4 flight controller, where you can set it on Follow Me mode, Curve Cable Cam mode or Point of Interest mode, amongst other innovative automatic flight modes.
The renowned commercial drone brand has improved reliability with the Typhoon H + by integrating better protection against external electrical influences, advanced PX4 controller and the unique 6-rotor design.
Technical specifications of Yuneec Typhoon H + Plus
Check out these top features that make the Yuneec Typhoon H + Plus an excellent and low-cost choice for drone lovers:
- Dynamic design – As compared to its predecessor, the Typhoon H + is almost identical in exterior. However, the overall construction is more suited for commercial cinematography, rather than industrial photography.
- Complete controls – The lightweight design, combined with advanced PX4 (Pixhawk Flight Management Unit) flight system make the Typhoon H + more agile and better responsive than its competitors. This new flight control system provides greater power efficiency and combined with the innovative ESCs, connects digitally with all 6 motors. It also has the ability to power 5 remaining motors efficiently in case of a single motor failure.
- Improved flight power – The Typhoon H + has new, bigger motors with innovative propeller design that provides remarkably higher lifting power. The flight has also been tested as being 40% less noisy than its predecessor. These features combine to provide you with a total flight time of around 28 minutes, with the CS3.
Why choose Yuneec Typhoon H + Plus as your next drone?
The Yuneec Typhoon H + Plus drone is highly recommended by experts for experienced aerial cinematographers who wish to capture genuine cinematic footage.
Check out the top reasons that you should buy the Yuneec Typhoon H + Plus drone as your next choice for professional aerial cinematography:
1. Advanced Hardware power
As compared to the base model (Typhoon H) the Typhoon H + Plus model has a completely improved hardware. The upgraded hardware include highly advanced flight controller, along with more powerful motors and improved ESCs.
2. Lightweight and compact
The Yuneec Typhoon H + Plus drone weighs at around 1645 grams (without camera) and around 1995 grams (with CS3). It measures only 520 mm diagonally, making it one of the most lightweight and compact drones in the market, in its category.
3. Powerful flight ability
The Typhoon H + Plus drone is equipped with a 5250 mAh 4S Lithium-Polymer battery, which is charged swiftly using the SC4000 – 4H Charger. The drone is able to achieve a maximum flying height of around 500 meters above ground level. It achieves ascension speeds of 4 meters/sec, with descent measuring around 2.5 meters/sec for safety. It has a top speed of an astounding 13.5 meters/sec, making it sufficiently fast as well.
4. Excellent camera quality
The camera is a 1” CMOS sensor (20 MP) camera, able to capture videos in full HD mode, is fitted on a 3-axis gimbal. It has Single shot, Burst shot, Interval shot and Panorama modes. The various innovative autonomous flight modes, such as Return Home mode, Journey mode, Orbit Me mode, etc makes capturing cinematic footage more fun.
DJI PHANTOM 4 PRO V2
DJI, the globally leading drone-makers from China, are renowned for introducing truly advanced and revolutionary technology with each consecutive new model of their commercial drones. Even though DJI is the pioneer of numerous commercial drone and camera technologies in the industry, it keeps adding surprising and exciting features in its drones. The Phantom 4 Pro Version 2.0 is also packed with excellent and innovative features, including a new controller, refined propellers and the unique OcuSync transmission technology.
Technical specifications of DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2
Check out these exciting features that make the DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2 such an excellent drone for professional aerial cinematographers:
- Camera – The Phantom 4 Pro V2 is equipped with a 1” 20 MP sensor camera, which is able to capture 4K videos at 60 fps, at a bitrate of 100 Mbps.
- Flight – The Phantom 4 Pro V2 is able to provide an excellent total flight time of around 30 minutes straight in ideal flight conditions. It has an impressive range of 7 km, with negligible interference for perfect handling.
- Remote – The Phantom 4 Pro V2 remote controller is designed for use with this drone only. It is able to operate on dual frequencies – 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz – making it even more efficient. The remote controller also comes with a built-in HD screen for clear live video feed from the drone camera. The OcuSync transmission system also allows users to easily connect your drone with DJI Goggles, for prime drone flying experience.
Why choose DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2 as your next drone?
The DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2 comes equipped with some of the most interesting and exciting features, making it an excellent choice for professional aerial photographers.
Check out the top reasons that you should consider choosing the DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2 as your next drone of choice:
1. Lightweight and compact
The Phantom 4 Pro V2 measures only 350 mm diagonally and weighs in at around 1375 grams, making it truly lightweight in its class.
2. Excellent camera quality
The Phantom 4 Pro V2 comes equipped with a 1” CMOS sensor camera, with 20 MP. It offers a mechanical shutter speed of 8 – 1/2000 seconds and electronic shutter speed of 8 – 1/8000 seconds. You get multiple choices when it comes to still photography modes, choosing between single shot, burst shot and AEB (Auto Exposure Bracketing). It records cinema-quality videos in HD and Full HD modes with 4K at 60 fps.
3. Fine flight features
The Phantom 4 Pro V2 has three flight modes in all, with a maximum ascension speed of 6 meters/second in the Sports Mode, a maximum flight speed of 72 km/h, peeking at optimum 6000 meters flight ceiling. The drone is able to provide non-stop flight time of around 30 minutes in ideal flying conditions.
4. Better battery
The Phantom 4 Pro V2 is equipped with a powerful 6000 mAh Lithium Polymer 2S battery and provides half hour of flight time ideally. The Intelligent Flight Battery for Phantom 4 Pro V2 is 5870 mAh Li-Po battery providing 15.2 V.
Expect the Exciting DJI Mavic Pro 2 soon now
DJI, the leading China-based drone manufacturers, is expected to finally release the DJI Mavic Pro 2 drone in its upcoming event on 18th July, 2018. Although the Chinese brand made a tentative announcement in January, it decided to instead release the Mavic Air drone.
We have word that DJI drone-lovers will finally get to buy the latest Mavic model after the event scheduled in July.
What can you expect with the DJI Mavic Pro 2 drone?
Check out these excellent features that drone experts estimate you might be able to see in the DJI Mavic Pro 2 drone, which is soon to be launched:
The Mavic Pro 2 is set to have a sleek design with a higher focus on portability. The images released by the brand shows that the new Mavic can be folded to fit into a 1-liter soda bottle. This makes it a truly compact drone in its class. Depending on popular user feedback, the new Mavic Pro 2 is expected to have stronger structure with improved strength for its folding arms.
The Mavic Pro 2 is also estimated to have a significantly better camera than its competitors. This new camera is also expected to resolve the issues faced with earlier models while shooting videos at 60/96 fps. There has been strong talk of the camera having a 1” sensor, while experts are also expecting the drone to feature dual cameras – 1” and 1/1.7” sensor cameras.
The new DJI Mavic Pro 2 is expected to have an improved gimbal to reduce the unwanted ‘jell-o’ effect. This will also add to the camera’s field of vision, which is currently only half of that of the GoPro Karma drone. Apart from these, the new gimbal is also expected to address the frequent overheating problems with its earlier drones.
The Mavic Pro 2 is also expected to have better flight time, totaling around 33 minutes. This is slightly better than the 27 minutes flight provided by the DJI Mavic and even the 30 minutes flight time of the Mavic Pro Platinum models. Not only this, the newer Mavic is also expected to have faster flight capabilities, at around 45 miles/hour in Sports Mode.
The Mavic Pro 2 is expected to cross the 5-mile range with advanced and stronger transmission system, as the Mavic provides a flight range of only 4.3 miles.
Keep checking this corner for more news about the latest drones launches, their specifications, price and other details before deciding to buy a new drone.