DJI, the Chinese leaders in action camera and drone technology unveiled the DJI OSMO Pocket to its millions of loyal customers. Although awaited with intense anticipation by everyone we need to know if DJI OSMO Pocket is what you need.
This is a convenient hands-on review of the new DJI OSMO Pocket camera gimbal system.
Highlights of DJI OSMO Pocket
These are the highlighting features of the DJI OSMO Pocket gimbal:
• Size – 121.9 mm x 36.9 mm x 28.6 mm
• Weight – 116 grams
• Sensor – 12 MP 1/2.3 inch CMOS
• ISO Range – Video = 100-3200 / Photo = 100/3200
• Lens – Field of Vision (FOV) – 80° at F2.0 / 26 mm format
• Image size (Max) – 4000 x 3000 pixels
• Video Resolution – Ultra HD (4K) = 3840 x 2160 @ 24/25/30/48/50/60 p Full HD = 1920 x 1080 @ 24/25/30/48/50/60/120 p
• Electronic Shutter Speed – 8 seconds – 1/8000 second
• Photography Modes – Single Shot / Motion-Lapse / Time-Lapse / Panorama
• Video Modes – Auto / Slow Motion
• Bit Rate (Max) – 100 Mbps
• Memory – Micro SD card (max 256 GB)
• Type – Mechanical 3-axis
• Range of Control – Panorama = -230° to +50° Tilt = -95° to 50° Roll = ±45°
• Controlling Speed (Max) – 120°/second
• Angular Vibration Range – ±0.02°
• Type – Lithium-Polymer Intelligent Battery
• Energy – 6.738 Wh
• Capacity – 875 mAh
• Voltage – 7.7 V
• Operating Time – 140 minutes (when shooting 1080 p videos at 30 fps)
• Charging Time – 73 minutes (when using 10 W charger)
• Operating Temperature – 0° C to -40° C (32° F to -104° F)
These incredible features make the DJI OSMO Pocket seem like an excellent hand-held gimbal-camera system. Taking a deeper look into some of these innovative features may help to decide if the DJI OSMO Pocket is a camera that you need to have.
Reviewing DJI OSMO Pocket Features
Design and Dimension
One of the best aspects of DJI OSMO Pocket is that it gives you the power of mechanical stabilizers for the tiny camera right into your palm. It is immensely tiny (121.9 mm x 36.9 mm x 28.6 mm) which makes it a perfect fit for your pocket. The entire device weighs only around 116 grams, which makes it extremely lightweight too.
For comparison, the OSMO Pocket is about 2/3rd lighter and half the length of the iPhone XS.
The design is not only meant to make the OSMO Pocket compact but it also allows single-hand operation with ease. It comes with a sweat-proof, non-slip grip that allows you to use it in almost any conditions. The small 1-inch touchscreen adds immensely to its ease of use.
The OSMO Pocket is equipped with a 1/2.3-inch CMOS-sensor in a 12MP camera. The lens provides an impressive 80° FOV, which gives an equivalent format of 26 mm video. The OSMO Pocket allows you to shoot Full HD videos as well as Ultra HD 4K videos effortlessly.
The variety of photography and video recording modes installed in it make the DJI OSMO Pocket an excellent handheld camera. Use the OSMO Pocket for capturing stunning photographs with the single shot, panorama, time-lapse or motion-lapse modes. You can capture HD videos with the tiny camera using auto mode or slow motion mode.
Impressive Intelligent Power
The DJI OSMO Pocket is equipped with an advanced 875 mAh Lithium-Polymer battery which has an energy storage capacity which is sufficient for over 2 hours of video recording after a full charge.
All in all, the features and design of the DJI OSMO Pocket make it an ideal camera for quick handheld videography. It is an excellent alternative instead of lugging a bulky DSLR or a video recording gear, especially at outdoor locations.
If you have the need to capture cinematic HD quality videos without having to take out your DSLR or video recorder every time then the DJI OSMO Pocket is an excellent solution for you